Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015

New Year = Fresh Start


ok, so we don't need to start over - but oh my, have we grown! We definitely need to freshen up a bit.

So, to do that - I resolve to:

- read , write, and research more - as I found myself disheartened by struggles and challenges in several areas of my own life the past year, I found myself giving up on learning more and sharing even more. There were actually times when I found myself asking, "What's the point?" Writing more will also equal progress on my book, that hasn't been touched in almost 2 years, and lead me here to blog more. Writing is my passion & our original blog is how this mission came in to existence. Writing has always been therapy for me and my world has suffered by not indulging in that therapy. The end of 2014 has definitely come full-circle while I found myself following my heart to where it belongs in writing.

One book I did read led me to this:


"Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy. ...this book...is a permission slip: you can, you should, and if you're brave enough to start, you will. Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink. Drink and be filled up.” ~Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft


- speak more - I have been relatively silent about the things that matter, the things that quite literally could mean life or death for the children we represent. I have been "secretly" strapping on the boxing gloves to debate in quiet little forums or comment threads on news articles with trolls hiding behind keyboards, but not standing up to the challenge in confronting the larger community. It was great practice, serving as a sad reminder of how many misconceptions continue to exist with a diagnosis of hydranencephaly. To truly make an impact- we I have to put our mission out there and not be quieted so easily.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.



Not only that, but I have found myself not sharing as much and worrying over who else may be uncomfortable with what I may share or what stance I may have on particular subjects. Why? I'm not sure. It's time for me to remember if I do not speak up for what I believe in, especially in support of our mission, no one else will and too many little lives will be lost or lived at a level of quality far less than what is deserved. No more being quiet.


- stay encouraged - discouragement has been the greatest challenge for me personally in 2014 and I have finally overcome that challenge to realize that those moments of discouragement are not where I should give in or give up.



"Every great work, every great accomplishment, has been brought into manifestation through holding to the vision, and often just before the big achievement comes apparent failure and discouragement." – Florence Scovel Shenn



So, with that comes a freshen-up. This month we will be sharing who we are, where we came from, and where we intend to go; we  hope you all will be joining us along the way. We have some really HUGE things coming in 2015 and you will want to be a part of it.

Speaking of "being a part" - we are always looking for volunteers, but that is especially true right now as we look to fill an immediate treasurer position on our Board of Directors. If you're interested, email President@HydranencephalyFoundation.org for an application! Hope to hear from you and looking forward to having you along for the ride through 2015...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our audience - share your comments with us here or join us on Facebook!