Monday, October 3, 2011

"Bee"-ography: Grandparents edition

Our final post in celebration of September's Grandparents Day, though a couple of days late, comes from Patricia Tribble:

My name is Patricia Tribble, known as Nana to my very first and only grand baby, Burkleigh Hazel Tribble. We found out that Burkleigh had hydranencepahly when Haley (mom) was 25 weeks along in her pregnancy on August 6th, 2009. That’s a day I’ll never forget. My son (Burky’s dad) was so upset that he asked me if it was his punishment for doing drugs. He had been clean for a year prior to finding out that he was going to be a dad. Haley had been living with us for a year and a half by this time, so I considered her my second daughter and still do. 
On September 23rd, 2009, a miracle that I so proudly call my granddaughter was delivered via C-section. Haley was 32 weeks along. Burkleigh was absolutely beautiful. She weighed in at 6 pounds 11 ounces and stretched 18 inches long. The doctors told us she probably wouldn’t live past birth, so I refused to leave the hospital. My daughter, mother in law, and I camped out in the waiting room for the first two nights terrified that the doctor’s words would become the truth. The moment when Dr. Kim Smith told us she wouldn’t make it past six months will forever be etched in my mind. I sure would like to see him now! Burkleigh never went to NICU. Haley opted for Comfort Care due to the fact that she was told Burky wouldn’t live long. After Haley recovered, we were sent home on hospice. To be honest, I don’t know what we would’ve done without our hospice nurse. She found us all the essential resources we needed for Burkleigh.
The next several months were the hardest, not so much because of Burkleigh’s health, but because of my son and Haley’s struggling relationship. 

Haley moved out and took Burkleigh with her right before the holidays. We ended up going to court and getting custody issues worked out. I’m so grateful that they included me and my husband in visitations. It’s bizarre, but my son and Haley get along better now then when they were together. Although, I would like my son to be more involved in his daughter’s life. 
Much like the other Hydran-families, we have had numerous medical challenges. Our last hospital visit was the absolute worst. We took her in because she was super fussy and extremely lethargic. Turned out that her sodium levels were really high, her heart rate was low, and she was severely dehydrated. They admitted her to the PICU where she stayed for a week. 

During that time she had quit eating by mouth, so a g-button had to be put in. After that week, she was admitted to a regular floor of the hospital where she would bounce between rooms, go through multiple tests, be diagnosed with Chicken Pox and Staphylococcal Meningitis, and have her shunt removed and replaced all within 7 weeks. The Palliative Care doctors constantly came in and told mom that Burkleigh wouldn’t make it and she should have a DNR placed. I have never heard of doctors giving up on a life, who were they to judge us? 
Thankfully, we have an awesome Neurosurgeon and Burkleigh is doing great at the moment (other than sleeping issues). When ever I have a bad day, I go visit Burkleigh and just seeing her smile when she hears my voice is priceless!

 I thank God every single day for putting Burkleigh in my life and I cherish every moment with her. We will be celebrating her 2nd birthday on the 23rd of September. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our audience - share your comments with us here or join us on Facebook!